Rodent Identification & Prevention
Get A Free Quote Today!
Get started with a free, no obligation quote.
What are rodents?
Rodents are a large group of mammals that all share one unique physical characteristic: continuously growing front incisors. They gnaw anything they come across to stop their teeth from overgrowing and causing them pain or preventing them from eating.
Below is a brief description of the most common types of rodents to find their way to your Round Rock, Texas, or surrounding area property:
- Mice: These small rodents have a round body, four short legs, and gray or brown fur. Both their ears and long tail are covered in velvety fur. Mice are known for their ability to squeeze their bodies through spaces only the diameter of a pencil.
- Norway rats: Norway rats are a large species of rat. Their stout bodies have brown fur with black hairs scattered throughout. Their belly is lighter in color than the rest of their body. Norway rats have blunt noses, small ears, and powerful jaws. Their heavy body makes these rodents poor climbers; however, they are excellent swimmers!
- Roof rats: Roof rats are much smaller and slimmer than Norway rats. Their bodies are covered in dark, shiny fur. Their nose is pointed, and like other rats, their tails and ears are hairless. These rats are remarkably agile and are excellent climbers. Young roof rats are sometimes confused with adult mice.
- Squirrels: A squirrel’s appearance will vary depending on the exact type of squirrel. In general, squirrels have elongated bodies, large ears that sit up off their heads, and long furry tails that they use for balance and jumping.
Reach out to us today for pest control in Round Rock and surrounding areas.
Are rodents dangerous?
Rodents like mice, rats, and squirrels are dangerous to share our Texas properties with. They carry and spread pathogens that can make us ill. Hantavirus, salmonellosis, rat-bite fever, and tularemia are diseases commonly associated with rodents.
In addition to spreading disease, rodents are the primary hosts for many parasites. They are regularly the root cause of flea and tick infestations in our yards and homes.
A rodent’s chewing habits are also cause for concern. Rodents and their sharp incisors cause damage to wood, siding, roof shingles, drywall, furniture, flooring, and more. Chewing through electrical wires can lead to short circuits or electrical fires.
Texas rodents belong outside, not inside our homes. When sharing our homes with rodents, their excrement produces foul odors, they contaminate our stored foods, and are an overall nuisance.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Things that regularly attract the attention of rodents and cause them to want to become permanent members of our households include the following:
- Shelter: Our homes offer them a temperature-controlled space to call home.
- Easy access to food: Like, people, rodents are omnivores and will eat almost anything. Our trashcans, gardens, fruit trees, kitchens, and food storage areas provide them with reliable food sources.
- Plentiful harborage sites: Our yards and homes provide rodents with plenty of safe places to build their nests.
- Regular access to water: Leaky pipes, fixtures, and hoses offer them the water they need to survive.
Rodents are curious, intelligent creatures that have come to learn that wherever there are people, it will be easy for them to meet their basic needs.
Where will I find rodents?
Since squirrels and roof rats are agile and excellent climbers, they typically enter our homes above the ground; roof eaves, holes in roof intersections, chimneys, vents, and torn screens are common entry points. Inside our homes, these pests regularly take cover in chimneys, wall voids, and attics.
Norway rats prefer to stay at ground level and create nesting burrows in fields, along riverbanks, and under foundations and concrete slabs. If Norway rats find a way into your home, they are most likely found in basements, crawl spaces, and wall voids at ground level.
Mice like to explore, and when living outside near our houses, it is only a matter of time before they begin exploring our homes. They create their nesting sites in warm, dry areas that place them near food sources. Common places we discover mouse nests include cabinets, appliances, wall voids, crawl spaces, closets, drawers, and furniture.
Most rodents like to live outside but will use our homes as a respite during unsuitable weather conditions, a lack of food, or an increase in predatory activity.
How do I get rid of rodents?
If rodents have become a problem in or around your home, we can help. At EvoFoam Pest Control, we understand your house is your most valuable possession, and we want to help you keep it safe from rodents and other common household pests.
To eliminate rodents, we will use the most effective and environmentally friendly products on the market. Our professionals will treat your home, remove the rodents, and perform exclusion services to keep rodents out in the future. Contact us today for more information about effective rodent control in Round Rock, Texas, and surrounding areas.
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
We have compiled a list of helpful rodent prevention tips to help stop rodents from becoming a problem in your Texas home:
- Cut back shrubbery, vines, and other landscaping that can give rodents easy access to your home.
- Repair holes or other defects in your home’s roofline, foundation, or exterior walls.
- Place secure screens on your home’s chimneys, vents, and drains.
- Remove the temptation of food that's attracting rodents to your property by keeping lids on trashcans, removing bird feeders, maintaining a clean kitchen, and storing food properly.
What Our Customers Are Saying
Evo Foam has been great! We've used them for over a year and they have been wonderful. When they come, the technician is always polite and informative.
An absolute pleasure! Everyone at Evo Foam is super cordial and knowledgeable. They will do what it takes to eliminate your problem. It’s clear that customer satisfaction is a priority and I certainly appreciate the attention and dedication they have demonstrated. I’m very impressed. I would highly recommend them.
Have been with Evo Foam for a few years and love them. Always on time and professional. Both the owner and our serviceman Jake are absolute top notch. Jake is sure to spend the proper time on the house in order to get all of the bugs and insects taken care of and is extremely personable and nice. Highly recommend.
Get Started Today!
Contact Us To Schedule Your Free Consultation
Our certified pest experts will work with you to find the best solution for your needs. Simply fill out this form for a free, no-obligation estimate.
Latest Blog Articles
Rodent Control 101: Essential Tips For Keeping Your Round Rock Home Safe
Are you facing rodent troubles? Learn key tips to protect your Round Rock home with our latest article. Read on.
Stop Scorpions In Their Tracks: Top Techniques For Control For Round Rock Properties
Is professional scorpion control the only way to control these pests in Round Rock? Our experts talk about popular DIY control methods today.
Wasp Prevention 101: Steps You Can Take To Keep Wasps At Bay In Round Rock
Don't let wasps ruin your outdoor fun in Round Rock. Learn to identify, prevent, and stay safe from wasps with our guide.